Note: (April 2021) Haiti continues to deal with COVID-19 restrictions and insecurities and the medical conference is still on hold. Those in Terre Blanche were taking the lead to plan and host these medical conferences with presentations by Haitian medical professionals. The desire continues and everyone is looking forward to a time when the 11th annual medical conference can take place.
Note: (April 2020) The April 18, 2020 medical conference has been postponed because of Haiti’s lockdown to deal with COVID-19. We will update this page when we have a new conference date. Any funds designated for the medical conference will be held for the future conference.
Please read below to see how important these medical conferences are to medical professionals in Haiti.
Like Water on Parched Earth
Haiti Foundation of Hope has always believed medical education is extremely important. In 2009, HFH held their first medical conference for medical professionals who work in northern rural Haiti.
Terre Blanche is off the main road and getting there can be a challenge. Many attendees travel 2-3 hours or more to participate. There were 30 participants in 2009. After years of growth, there were 250 medical professionals at the 2019 conference.
April 18, 2020 is the date for the eleventh medical conference at the Clinic of Hope in the rural village of Terre Blanche. In the past, medical conferences have been held while HFH medical teams were visiting. With no HFH medical teams scheduled, due to the country’s instability, those in Terre Blanche are taking the lead for the 2020 conference.
Over the past 10 years, more than 49 medical topics have been presented by both American and Haitian colleagues. In 2020, all presenters will be Haitian.
Ongoing medical education is limited in Haiti so it is not surprising that one of the participants commented that these medical conferences are like water on parched earth.
HFH provides these annual conferences free of charge to participants. Through these medical conferences we provide education, encouragement and HOPE to Haitian medical professionals who are doing the difficult work of daily medical care and support of the people of Haiti.
Words from the Clinic of Hope Staff
When asked what the medical conference means to participants, a list was sent by Dr. Avril Dominique, Clinic of Hope Medical Sub-Committee President, Dr. Catiana Joseph, Clinic of Hope Medical Director, and Ms. Fredeline, Clinic of Hope Principal Nurse.
- The medical conference is a very important tool of Haiti Foundation of Hope in the ministry at the Clinic of Hope.
- We have physicians and nurses come from many towns and localities to attend. They are always satisfied as they share this experience.
- This allows physicians and nurses from different hospitals and centers of health in the country to meet and know each other.
- There is better understanding of international medicine and what is available at the Clinic of Hope.
- It empowers the participants with medical knowledge.
- The professional ethics at the Clinic of Hope and their compassionate hearts to serve the poor are reinforced.
- Patients of the neediest areas have more medical attention because of the conferences.
- We ask that the medical conferences continue because they are very important for Haiti.
How to Help
Would you consider making a tax-deductible donation to help provide lecture materials, meals and travel expenses for Haitian providers for these one-day medical conferences?
The cost per person is $20. Would you consider sponsoring one, two or more Haitian medical professionals? HFH is anticipating about 200 participants for 2020 and has set a goal of $4,000 to fund the conference.
A gift of any amount will make a difference. You can make an online tax-deductible donation of any amount directly to Haiti Foundation of Hope.
Thank you for helping to provide continuing medical education for Haitian medical professionals.