The October team to Haiti is back and team members are reflecting on their time working at the Clinic of Hope. Here are some highlights of the trip, written by the team leaders, Dr. Joe and Linda Markee:
- Sunday morning worship with the Haitians was an indescribable joy.
- We saw over 1,200 patients and more than 5,000 prescriptions were dispensed.
- Surgery procedures were held almost daily.
- We were able to raise enough money to give all patients rice and beans to take home.
The second-ever medical conference was held for doctors, nurses and resident doctors in northern Haiti. About 35 Haitians came. Five of our doctors presented and the rest of the team helped with preparations. One of the Haitian doctors gave a passionate speech saying, “This medical conference was like water for parched land!”
- We were able to use the new clinic annex (which is still under construction) as an eye clinic, a delivery room and an over-night observation area. The extra space is truly a blessing to us.
- Each day, about four team members taught English conversation and had career discussions with about 90 eager Haitian high school students.
- In addition to the medical conference, we had four didactic teaching sessions with the American and Haitian medical professionals.
- The roof of the clinic continues to be one of the best places in the world, that we know of, for early morning coffee and evening reflections!