As a member of the Haiti Foundation of Hope board of directors, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about and pray for my friends in Haiti.
This year has been unimaginably difficult for all the people in Haiti with food and fuel shortages and uncontrolled gang violence. In spite of this, we have seen God do some amazing things this year in the Terre Blanche area through the generosity of donors and the hard work of our Haitian brothers and sisters.
Let’s celebrate a few of those – you can follow the links for the complete stories.
- The Markee Maternity Center, in honor of our founders Joe and Linda Markee, was introduced and fully funded in less than six months by incredibly generous donors. Construction began in late summer to renovate the clinic annex and create a new Maternity Center within the Clinic of Hope. Construction is ongoing as materials are available. Markee Legacy Project, Team Work
- A variety of free medical clinics were held throughout the year. One such clinic in March focused on school children Pre-K to grade 6. At that time, 200 children were examined, treated and fed lunch in a single day. Free Medical Clinic for Students
- A summer school program provided classes on computer skills, basic first aid training, solar panel installation and more. At summer’s end, all students who completed the program received a special certificate recognizing their accomplishments. Summer School 2022
- Throughout the year, Community Health Volunteers (Covols) and staff members from the Clinic of Hope visited homes in the surrounding villages and held rally posts to assess and treat people with a variety of health concerns including hypertension, malnutrition, and prenatal care. These trips are often made on foot from village to village. Finding Solutions, Home Visits
- Recently, the Clinic of Hope and staff were publicly recognized by the Haitian Ministry of Health for never shutting down during the current crisis in Haiti. Pastor Delamy said the reputation of the Clinic of Hope is increasing. What a true testament to the staff’s dedication to love their neighbors and serve others.
These are just a few of the incredible things that were accomplished this year, and they are only possible because of God’s grace and the generous support of HFH donors. Thank you to everyone who gave this year. You are amazing!
by Ron Whitted, HFH board member